Body Contouring After Weight Loss
After losing a significant amount of weight you may feel like your journey’s not quite over. This is an exciting, yet challenging time and at CARE we’re here to partner with, educate, and guide you as you explore your plastic surgery options after weight loss. Dr. Coan and the experienced team at CARE will be with you during every step of the way to help you reach your destination of reflecting the beauty you feel on the inside to the world outside.
Once achieving significant weight loss on your journey – either through dietary changes or bariatric/weight loss surgery (gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, gastric band, and duodenal switch) – many patients report feeling healthier, yet many also feel as though their body may not reflect how they feel. Skin quality and elasticity is often compromised and doesn’t fully “spring back” after significant weight loss. The excess skin that remains can cause discomfort, irritation and overall frustration.
- “I’m tired of my batwing arms.”
- “I wish I felt comfortable standing in front of a mirror looking at myself.”
- “This excess skin is a reminder of where I was. . . I’m ready to break out and show off the new me!”
- “I want to be able to roll around on the floor with my grandchildren.”
- “I’m not comfortable being intimate with my partner because I feel self-conscious about my excess skin.”
- “I’ve come this far and this is going to be the final step.”
For many patients, body contouring involves a series of procedures that eliminate excess skin. These procedures may range from a lower body lift, breast reduction and lift, Brachioplasty (arm lift), and thigh lift. Combining liposuction with various procedures is beneficial for stubborn deposits of fat in order to create a more proportional/balanced contour of the body.
At CARE Plastic Surgery, Dr. Brian S. Coan specializes in total body contouring after weight loss. His plastic surgery results have earned him numerous awards and distinctions both locally and nationally. Named Durham’s Best Plastic Surgeon every year since its inception in 2010 by Durham Magazine in North Carolina has been a great honor. Dr. Coan was also recently featured on the Emmy award-winning TV show The Doctors for his life-changing body contouring after weight loss procedure performed on internet figure Tevante Clark (for a link to his personal story click here).
Dr. Coan is board-certified in Plastic and Reconstructive surgery and are members of the most world-renowned plastic surgery societies including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). They are passionate about guiding, educating, and caring for weight loss patients.
CARE Plastic Surgery is committed to providing patients with extraordinary aesthetic results always with the highest standards of safety. During your body contouring consultation, Dr. Coan will discuss the most suitable procedures and treatment plan to meet your aesthetic aspirations. Each body contouring plastic surgery procedure is customized to your body and goals.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) – to reduce excess skin, tighten loose muscles, reduce excess fat
- Buttock Lift – to lift and/or augment the buttocks
- Lower Body Lift Belt Lipectomy or Tummy Tuck combined with Buttock Lift – sometimes referred to as “around the world” or “circumferential 360°” tummy tuck – this procedure lifts and tightens skin around the entire waistline including front, back and sides
- Facelift – to reduce pronounced jowls, hanging skin and “turkey neck”
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) – to reduce “batwing” arms (excess skin hanging from arms)
- Thigh Lift (Thighplasty) – to reduce thighs that chafe and cause discomfort due to excess skin
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy) – to reduce hanging, sagging breasts and/or lift and possibly reduce nipples
- Breast Lift/Breast Augmentation – to lift sagging breasts and increase lost breast volume
- Breast Reduction – to reduce breast size and reduce discomfort from large breasts
- Male Breast Reduction – to reduce excess skin, fat and/or tissue from male breasts (nipple reduction may also be included)
- Liposuction – to reduce excess adipose/fat from stubborn areas (including arms, abdomen, neck, thighs, groin/mons, back)
- Labiaplasty/Groin Surgery – to address the groin area and excess skin/fat
Combining procedures is determined on a case-by-case basis. Frequently, more than one body contouring procedure can be combined, such as a lower body lift with a breast lift. If you are a candidate for several body contouring procedures, you will need to have more than one surgical session. Our CARE specialists will listen to your priorities and create a customized surgical plan for the stages of your procedures. The ultimate goal is to be able to get back to enjoying life as soon as possible.
The recovery period after a body contouring procedure is unique depending on your case. The amount of time you must take off from work and other activities is determined by the specific body contouring procedure or procedures, amount of tissue removed and your general health.
For several of the procedures, you will need to wear a custom-fit support garment for up to six weeks post-surgery. You will be informed prior to your surgery how much time you will need off from work. You will feel sore for several days to weeks. In the majority of cases, there is little or no bruising. Swelling will take several weeks or months to fully resolve, and after some procedures, such as the lower body lift, it may be difficult to walk completely upright for several days. For more involved procedures, you may not be able to resume exercise or heavy lifting for up to six weeks.
True You Weight Loss is the nation’s first and only physician-founded medical practice exclusively focused on providing non-surgical, state-of-the-art weight loss procedures and support. CARE Plastic Surgery is a proud surgical partner to Dr. McGowan and the team at True You. Learn more at trueyouweightloss.com.
Can you freeze your fat off at home?
We are excited to offer dual CoolSculpting here in our office! CoolSculpting is a great option for patients that want to avoid the recovery and downtime associated with surgery. Patients can target stubborn pockets of localized fat through non-invasive technology.
Do you lose weight when you have CoolSculpting?
While CoolSculpting is not a weight-loss tool, patients are encouraged to maintain or lose weight to see optimal results.
Can ultrasound melt fat?
CoolSculpting does not utilize ultrasound technology. CoolSculpting utilizes a temperature-controlled chamber to deliver both consistent and effective outcomes.
Does CoolSculpting hurt?
CoolSculpting patients at CARE consider treatment to be comfortable and virtually painless. There is no downtime associated with a CoolSculpting treatment at CARE. Many of our patients even resume their exercise routines the day of treatment!
Does insurance cover body contouring?
While CoolSculpting is considered to be an out-of-pocket expense, here at CARE Plastic Surgery we offer several financing options for our patients. We strive to find the best option to help you achieve your desired aesthetic goals.
Does body sculpting work on cellulite?
CoolSculpting is designed to eliminate fat cells through a patient’s own bodily systems. As cellulite refers to the overall quality of the skin, CoolSculpting does not address or improve the appearance of cellulite.
How do you smooth out cellulite?
While cellulite can be a rather difficult concern to address, here at CARE we offer many different products and services to improve overall skin quality.
How long does body contouring last?
As long as you maintain your weight, you can expect your CoolSculpting results to last long-term. However, life events such as pregnancy and aging may impact your long-term results.
How safe is body sculpting?
Here at CARE, we pride ourselves on prioritizing patient safety and outcomes. With the newest CoolSculpting technology on the market, our providers give excellent results without surgical intervention.
Is body contouring permanent?
Your CoolSculpting results can be considered permanent if you maintain your standard diet and exercise routine. With proper weight maintenance, your results will still be noticeable. If you ate a cookie every day before your CoolSculpting treatment, you can still eat a cookie every day and have visible results.