Stubborn Belly Fat? Here’s What to Expect from a Tummy Tuck
Where do you store stubborn fat? Aging, pregnancy, and stress can all contribute to unwanted fat stores, often located in isolated pockets on the body. This stubborn fat can be difficult to lose through diet and exercise alone, as it is often resistant to weight loss. If your midsection is plagued by loose skin or excess fat, come see double board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Coan. A tummy tuck can restore the tight, flat tummy of your youth. Schedule your consultation today.
Do I Need a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic surgical procedure designed to tighten up the appearance of the abdomen. During a tummy tuck an incision is made low on the abdomen, typically under the bikini line, that extends from hip to hip. Excess skin and fat are removed. We often pair a tummy tuck with liposuction, to enhance Dr. Coan’s ability to remove fat and shape the area. The abdominal muscles are tightened and any separation is repaired by stitching the two muscle strips together, forming an internal girdle. The skin is cut from around the belly button, tightened, and the belly button is reattached in the proper position.
Do you need a tummy tuck? This procedure may be the right option for you if:
- You have loose abdominal skin due to pregnancy, weight loss, or aging.
- You have separated abdominal muscles (common after pregnancy).
- You have excess belly fat, but are otherwise close to your ideal weight.
- You are at your ideal weight and not planning significant future weight loss.
- You are not planning on future pregnancies (women).
If you’re considering a tummy tuck, call and schedule a consultation for personalized advice.
Will My Tummy Tuck be Customized to My Needs?
Dr. Coan believes in providing individualized care to each and every patient at CARE Plastic Surgery. He uses a variety of abdominoplasty techniques to ensure a stunning, natural looking result for each patient. He’ll discuss your options during your consultation.
- Classic Abdominoplasty– A classic abdominoplasty removes excess skin and fat from the upper and lower abdomen. This procedure shapes and sculpts the stomach and waist area, tightens abdominal muscles, and removes excess skin.
- Mini Tummy Tuck– For patients with limited excess skin, but a slight bulge due to muscle laxity, a mini tummy tuck can provide exceptional results. This procedure uses a shorter incision (similar to a c-section) to tighten muscles and removes excess skin under the belly button.
- Lipo-Abdominoplasty– If you struggle with belly fat more than loose skin, a lipo-abdominoplasty may be the solution. This procedure combines liposuction to the flanks, back, and abdomen with a mini tummy tuck. It also provides minimal skin removal and muscle tightening.
- Extended Abdominoplasty– For patients that have undergone significant weight loss, Dr Coan may recommend an extended abdominoplasty. This procedure is sometimes called a lower body lift. Incisions can extend around the entire lower body if needed. This may be paired with a buttocks lift.
- Liposuction– Some patients with stubborn belly fat, but otherwise tight skin, may be able to restore a flat abdominal appearance through liposuction alone.
We’ll recommend the best options for restoring a flat, tight appearance to your abdominal area.
Excess belly fat? Tighten up your tummy with a tummy tuck. Call today and learn more about your options.