Breast augmentation has been the top cosmetic surgical procedure every single year since 2006. Women want to remake their figures, and breast implants are one of the best ways to achieve that. What was popular in breast augmentation last year? Let’s look back at some of 2017’s hottest breast augmentation trends.
1. Natural-Looking Implants are More Desired Than a Dramatic Look
Women want implants, but they don’t necessarily want anyone else knowing about them. Many of our breast augmentation patients are requesting smaller, more natural looking implants. We saw an increase in women requesting C and B cup breasts and fewer women requesting larger cup sizes, DD for example.
Smaller implants can still make a big impact on your appearance. They can restore fullness after pregnancy or breastfeeding, enhance breast shape, and boost cup size. Smaller implants also have a few benefits over larger implant sizes including:
- Less risk of bottoming out
- Less potential for loss of nipple sensation
- Lower risk of revision surgery
- Easier to hide implant under natural breast tissue
- Lighter and more comfortable, fewer back and neck problems related to heavy implants
Some women with larger implants are opting for breast implant exchange. During this procedure we remove the old implant and replace it with a new one. There are many reasons to consider implant exchange including complications from an implant that is too large, sagging breasts after pregnancy and breastfeeding, a desire for smaller or larger breasts, or an implant leak or rupture. Older implants do not last as long as newer, modern implants. If your implants no longer meet your aesthetic or lifestyle goals, come see us and find the implant that works for you.
2. More Women Are Desiring New, Advanced Implants
Saline, silicone, or gummy bear? The gummy bear implant, a type of cohesive silicone gel implant, continues to surge in popularity. This implant features a silicone outer shell, like traditional saline and silicone implants, but is filled with a thick, cohesive filling. The implants are still soft, but they hold their shape much better than other implant types and the gel doesn’t leak out if the implant happens to rupture. We had many women come in asking specifically for this implant type last year and we suspect that gummy bear implants will remain popular going into 2018 and for years to come. We’ll discuss the benefits of gummy bear implants as well as other implant types during your consultation with Dr. Coan.
3. More Women Are Combating Aging with a Breast Lift with Implants
Breast implants alone yield stunning results for many of our patients, but after pregnancy or weight loss, some women need a lift to achieve their ideal breast appearance. An implant can correct minor sagging by restoring lost breast volume, but for moderate or severe sagging, excess skin must be removed and tissues need to be repositioned before an implant is placed. To address these issues, it might be pertinent to combine a breast augmentation with a breast lift. There are many benefits to a combination procedure:
- Shorter Recovery Time– Recover from both procedures together.
- Better Results– When both procedures are performed together, we can achieve better results than if we performed a lift and augmentation separately. Less skin is removed, implants fit better and we can shape the breast with the implant in mind.
- Cost Effective– Fewer trips to the operating room means fewer expenses. Combining surgeries can save you money, making cosmetic breast surgery more accessible to more patients.
- Less Scarring– The implants are placed through the same incisions created for the breast lift. This leaves fewer incisions and less scarring.
Studies have found that combining breast augmentation and breast lift surgery can be as safe as a single procedure surgery, provided the surgeon is experienced with using the technique and takes proper precautions. Dr. Coan is double board-certified and has performed many combined breast augmentation and lift procedures.
During 2017, we saw an uptick in combination procedures like the breast lift + breast augmentation combo. The mommy makeover is another popular combination treatment and is designed to rejuvenate and restore the body after pregnancy, breastfeeding, and childbirth.
4. We Can Now Use Technology to Predict Your New Look
Why wait to see your new look? At CARE Plastic Surgery, we’re pleased to offer Crisalix 3D Imaging, giving patients a preview of their breast augmentation results before surgery. The technology behind 3D imaging is relatively new and one we adopted early-on. As the trend to see results before surgery continues to grow, we proudly continue to offer this service to our patients.
5. Confidence Is Always in Style
Trends change, but one thing that will never go out of style is a confident woman that loves her body. For many women, breast augmentation is a key to achieving this goal. Come in and learn more about your options for breast surgery from one of Cary’s top plastic surgeons, Dr. Brian Coan.